- COCKPIT COLOSSUS Breitling’s massive Chronomat GMT features the next generation of its first in-house movement. We take this versatile pilots’ watch on a test flight.
TESTS & REVIEWS
- GROUP EFFORT Longines’s Column Wheel Chronograph contains a movement made exclusively for the brand by ETA, its sister company in the Swatch Group.
- SEND IN THE SEALS Jaeger-LeCoultre has introduced a limitededition Master Compressor Diving watch designed with the input of United States Navy SEALs. We put it though the WatchTime gauntlet.
- THREE DEEP A professional diver helped us test a trio of distinctively designed divers’ watches in their intended element.
- TAILORED TIME Customizable components and anti-counterfeiting features make Vacheron Constantin’s Quai de l’Ile appealing to collectors. How does it hold up as a practical, everyday timekeeper?
SPORTS WATCHES 2011
- SPORTS WATCH SHOWCASE Dozens of new watches for every sport you can think of.
- TOUGH TIMERS The great outdoors can be a risky place for your watch. Here’s a rundown of horological hazards and some watches that will help you cope with them.
- ONE-MAN BRAND Munich-based UTS has carved out a niche: German-made professional divers’ watches, all with cases made in-house by engineer Nicolaus Spinner.
- JUMP MASTER A visit with retrograde-display champ Jean-Marc Wiederrecht
- COMPLICATED LADIES Watch brands this year introduced a plethora of women’s watches powered by mechanical movements, from simple three-hands to chronographs to a minute repeater.
- THE KING OF CRYSTAL Georg Riedel, the notoriously press-shy, 10thgeneration scion of the Austrian glass-making dynasty, speaks about his appreciation of fine watches.
- CAPITAL CITY For centuries, Geneva has reigned supreme as the center of high-end watchmaking.
- REBUILDING BAUME The Great Recession walloped Baume & Mercier. Here’s how the Richemont Group plans to revive its most affordable brand.
- WATCHFEST A record number of watch aficionados saw a record number of watches and watch brands at WatchTime’s New York “Inside Basel/Geneva” event.
DEPARTMENTS & COLUMNS
- EDITOR’S LETTER
- READERS’ FORUM
- WATCHTALK COSC chronometer figures, new Turbine models from Perrelet, and more
- WATCH QUIZ Our annual quiz on sports watches
- FINE CARS The new, fully loaded BMW 650i rolls out as a convertible and a coupe.
- FINE PENS The Paragon turned 80 this year and hasn’t aged a bit.
- FINE SPIRITS Rare and exclusive bottles for well-capitalized connoisseurs
- FINE CIGARS Now part of the General Cigar family, iconoclastic CAO enters a new era and releases a new blend.
- FACE TIME A photo mélange of readers and their watches
- LAST MINUTE Are we surprised Rolex signed Tiger Woods to a sponsorship deal? No. They should have done it a decade ago.