- DEPTHS OF THE OCEAN Omega’s Seamaster Planet Ocean has been reworked and outfitted with the brand’s in-house chronograph movement. Does it sink or swim?
TESTS & REVIEWS
- SLIM TICKINGS As watch lovers rediscover the thin, classically elegant timepiece, we review two that represent the trend: the Audemars Piguet Jules Audemars Extra Thin and the Girard-Perregaux 1966.
- SLIDE RULE, STILL COOL Breitling’s rollout of its in-house Caliber 01 movement has reached the Navitimer. We examine the new Navitimer 01.
- GENERATION RETRO Two chronographs inspired by historic models — Zenith’s El Primero New Vintage 1969 and Glashütte Original’s Senator Sixties — go head to head in a matchup of Swiss and German watch manufacturers.
- TRIAL BY FIRE The Sinn EZM 7 was designed as a professional timepiece for firefighters. Here we find out if it can take the heat of a WatchTime test.
- QUARTZ-WATCH WARRIOR Larry Grunstein, recently retired head of Citizen Watch Co. of America, spent four decades on the quartz-watch front.
- TWO-CYLINDER ENGINE Montblanc’s Tourbillon Bi-Cylindrique, with its two concentric, cylindrical hairsprings, is the latest tourbillon watch from its Minerva movement factory.
- VOLTAIRE, WATCH BARON How the most famous writer of his age became a watchmaking mogul
- CLASSICAL REVIVAL After years of pushing the boundaries of case size, cost and complications, watch brands have rediscovered the appeal of classically simple dials, modest dimensions and accessible price points.
- TUTIMA GOES HOME After 66 years, Germany’s Tutima stages a triumphant return to its hometown, Glashütte.
- THE KING OF VINTAGE Face to face with Aurel Bacs, watch-department chief at Christie’s, the world’s biggest watch auctioneer
DEPARTMENTS & COLUMNS
- EDITOR’S LETTER
- READERS’ FORUM
- WATCHTALK New records set for Swiss watch exports and Swatch Group sales, Ernest Borel returns to America, and more
- WATCH QUIZ Movements and their makers
- FINE CARS Cadillac rejoins the luxury-car elite with the CTS Coupe.
- FINE PENS The Delta Gallery Piston Fill is the Dolce Vita’s promise fulfilled.
- FINE SPIRIT Tennessee whiskey has a taste, a process and a history all its own
- FINE CIGARS The cigar world’s unsung heroes step into the spotlight with personal blends.
- FACE TIME A photo mélange of readers and their watches
- LAST MINUTE Searching for Dr. Kurtz: A tale of love, war and watches