- BREAKING AWAY By Jens Koch | Panerai’s Radiomir 8 Days Ceramica offers the Radiomir’s familiar styling with some new twists. We asked a watchmaker to disassemble it so we could examine its movement, the in-house Caliber P.2002/3. We also tested it on a timing machine and had it spend some time on our watch-tester’s wrist. Here’s what we found out.
- RESERVED POWER By Mike Disher | Equipped with a prominent ab/auf power-reserve display, A. Lange & Söhne’s 1815 Up/Down has been called the quintessential Lange wristwatch. Should Lange be proud of it?
- TRACK SUITED By Alexander Krupp | The Monaco Calibre 11 Edition Steve McQueen is an updated version of the watch McQueen wore as a racecar driver in the movie “Le Mans.” With its snazzy stripes, it looks as if it were born to rac e. Is it a winner?
SPECIAL REPORT: BASELWORLD 2013
- THE CHINA BOOM BUSTS By Joe Thompson | Much buzz at Baselworld was focused on Swiss watch exports to China, which dropped 23 percent for the first five months of the year. What does trouble in China mean for the luxury watch industry?
- BREAKING THE MOLD By Mike Disher | A WatchTime reporter roamed the halls of Baselworld in search of offbeat new watches. Boy, did he find them: a wooden tourbillon, an octopus watch, a miniweather station for the wrist and more.
- WHY SWATCH MATTERS By Joe Thompson | At Baselworld, the Swatch brand launched a new mechanical watch, the Sistem 51, which will retail for around $150. Swatch Group CEO Nick Hayek Jr. talks about why the mechanical-watch boom should not be confined to the high end of the market.
- TAKING THE PLUNGE By Jay Deshpande | Now that Kering (formerly known as PPR) owns Girard-Perregaux, it has access to its high-end mechanical movements. One of them: GP3300, is being used in a pricey new dive watch by G-P’s sister brand, Gucci.
- WATCHES COME TO ME By Jay Deshpande | Some guys hunt for watches, says California collector Larry Seiden. But he feels that the 300-plus watches he’s owned have hunted for him.
DEPARTMENTS & COLUMNS
- EDITOR’S LETTER
- DIGITAL ENHANCEMENTS A list of all the QR codes in this issue that link to bonus content
- ON WATCHTIME.COM A glimpse at watch news and features on our website
- WORLD OF WATCHTIME See the global reach of WatchTime and its partners.
- WATCHTALK Patek Philippe CEO Thierry Stern talks minute repeaters; COMCO rules on Swatch Group deliveries; the world’s most valuable watch brands; Japanese watch companies’ financial results; Antonio Calce takes charge at Eterna
- TICKER Fun figures related to the eye-poppingly extravagant new booths that debuted at Baselworld
- QUIZ Test your knowledge of the year’s new watches by naming the brands whose watches are shown in our strategically cropped photos.
- FACETIME A photo mélange of readers and their watches
- LAST MINUTE